Private Equity is an asset class and investing style that consists of buying an ownership interest in operating companies that are private – not publicly-traded. Common strategies within P.E. include
(LBO), venture capital, growth capital, distressed investments, and mezzanine capital. Typically, a PE firm looks for firms that are undervalued, so that acquiring the company will create value for the PE firm. Alternatively, a PE firm will look for a target firm that will synergize with its current operations to create value. In this article, you’ll find a list of the top 10 private equity firms in the world.
PE firms raise large amounts of capital (equity and debt) to buy companies, hold them for a period of time, and typically sell them as an “exit strategy”. The total amount of capital raised is how we have ranked the top ten private equity firms in the world.
Who are the top 10 private equity firms in the world?
(Top 10 P.E. firms sorted by total capital raised – from Wikipedia)
- The Carlyle Group – Washington D.C.
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) – New York City
- The Blackstone Group – New York City
- Apollo Global Management – New York City
- TPG – Fort Worth
- CVC Capital Partners – Luxembourg
- General Atlantic – New York City
- Ares Management – Los Angeles
- Clayton Dubilier & Rice – New York City
- Advent International – Boston